OPEN CALL: Residence in Graz
The International Center for Contemporary Art MeetFactory together with Schaumbad Graz are opening a new call for applications for a three-month residency for an artist working in the territory of the Czech Republic Schaumbad Graz.
The residence includes:
- accommodation in Graz;
- studio in Schaumbad Graz;
- return transport from the place of residence in the territory of the Czech Republic to Graz in economy class;
- fixed allowance for expenses related to the residence in the amount of 2,000 euros (1,000 euros per month gross).
Oh bubble bath
Schaumbad is a non-profit organization based in Graz that was founded in 2008 and aims to operate studios, workshops and organize events focused on the production and presentation of contemporary art. This also includes the conception, organization and implementation of artistic projects (exhibitions, performances, concerts, film screenings, workshops, symposia, etc.), publication and cooperation with domestic and foreign initiatives and institutions.
There are 23 studios and workspaces in Schaumbad, including a darkroom and a workshop with access to wood, metal and ceramics for all. The size of the studios varies from 20 m2 to 100 m2 and they are used by individual artists and collectives in all sectors.
Between 2013 and 2018, eleven studios and a film studio were installed in the 1,100 m2 factory hall, which corresponds to the construction of three family houses. Eight studios are located in the former office spaces on the first floor and in the western wing.
Studios are granted indefinitely after a six-month trial period, one studio is reserved for temporary use (e.g. Artist in Residence). The workshop for working with metal and wood is rented in accordance with availability to all artists.
The residency will take place from May 1 to June 30, 2024. It is not possible to complete the residency in multiple parts.
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- demonstrate a professional career of at least 5 years (including realized solo and group exhibitions and project proposals);
- have completed studies;
- have a good command of English; good knowledge of German welcome;
- to be freed from their professional obligations for the duration of the residency.
The challenge is not age-restricted. A presentation of research results is required at the end of the residency.
The application, written in English, must contain:
- curriculum vitae;
- motivation letter with a maximum of 1,800 characters with motivation for the stay, possibly with a project proposal and an idea of its implementation, especially with regard to the question of how the residency can benefit the applicant’s artistic practice.
The application will be evaluated by a commission composed of the curators of the residency program MeetFactory and representatives of Schaumbad Graz.
The Commission reserves the right to reject any project without giving reasons for its decision. The commission’s decision is final and cannot be appealed.
The partner institutions reserve the right to suspend, shorten, extend or postpone the Call for Applications: Residency in Graz.
The deadline for submitting applications is January 15, 2024 inclusive. Applications sent after this date will not be accepted for the selection process.
The results of the call will be published no later than January 31, 2024 on the MeetFactory website: www.meetfactory.cz
Applicants will not be contacted by phone about the results of the procedure.
Send applications to the curators of the MeetFactory residency program, Kateřina Pencová and Piotr Sikor, with an accompanying email in English at opencall/@/meetfactory/./cz.
Put “OPENCALL Graz 2024” in the subject line